Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Asian eyes

Last saturday, I met oz friends. it'd been long since we met last time. Had lunch together and i don't remember why but Cris expressed asian eyes as she pulled the outer corners of her eyes, making them thin and long. So I told her that she shouldn't do that 'cause it makes some people feel bad, I did't feel anything myself anymore though(I'm already sick and tired of handling those cases). Then all other friends started to defend that they aren't trying to undermind when they do that. I explained that people don't feel good for that and that's what people should keep in their mind. And many asians think having thin and long eyes are less good then big and round eyes. Because asians eye are often called "small", mainly asians call it in that way as they have an inferiority complex about their own aspect. Some of us manage to operate there eyes to have double eyelid or bigger eyes, whatever, I explained that to my friends. So my friends explained back some people here also operate theirs to have them like the asians. But I don't think they have any kind of an inferiority complex. And asians do. I've always thought that's a very foolish thought but I wanted to depend and tell them how it works for asians.

When I came to Spain for the first time, until then I didn't know that kind of unpleasant expression. Well, at that time I didn't kno but it really felt bad. and I knew that was how some western people do. They say they don't have any intention to laugh at us but it does feel unpleasant.

Last year in Beijing, in the Olympic period, some spanish players took a photo as every member doing that expression. I don't exactly know how it went, but after the photo was published, I think all the spanish people found it funny 'cause they do that too. But I thought, how embarrassing! And my thought naturally went to imagine how it would be like, it was Olympic period, sure it was full of people out there, full of local people, and also people from overseas. But there was no doubt to make me imagine most of the people there were asians. I was picturing myself as if I was one of chinese passing there when they were doing that. "I had no idea what it was so I just saw them with half curiosity and half ignored and after I realised it was the way to express us!!"

Once a photo of Miley Cyrus was criticised by many people 'cause in the photo she was doing asian eyes thing with her friends. I read that article in a korean web, and I even didn't get surprised.(No me extrañó por nada!) But I think after she tried to apologise to public about her behaviour. There I found a difference between her and those spanyards. (Well I know an actress must concern much more with public than sport players do)

People sometimes confuse being ignorant and being naive, especially in Spain, I've seen and I've met a lot of people. They simply don't know certain things, and they are such an honest and kind people, warm-hearted. Molt simpàtics! But way ignorant. Racism does exist in this way. They act in certain way since they haven't got the foggiest but it could hurt some people and they don't know!! They seem to feel cool about that I was bothered hundreds of times but I started not to consider that as nothing but they are still bloody ignorant.

Have you ever tried to do those eyes? Try it. Jeez, I am not seeing well. Doing those eyes are so annoying. Feel like I got lame eyes. So, those who have thin eyes have any problems with their vision? I dunno but I don't think so. This thought made me feel unpleasant again.

Let's go back to last saturday with my friends, I think I made them a bit embarrassed and way shocked. They were trying to depend as persuading me so they were telling me how nice is that I have "cabell llis i lacio", soft and straight hair. And some other things but after all we are the same, they concluded. Well, they'd just said how different I was than them!! But I knew they didn't mean to be bad. People who don't want to hurt anyone say that, "We are blah blah blah and you are blah blah blah but either way we are the same!". Ha, of course, genetically it's true since we are all human but we know we are all different. But not after it's already dwelled on! I know I'm not the same as a girl from Norway, or a girl from Tanzania. Just the important thing is we got to accept the difference and we shouldn't act weirdly. Nobody is perfert and so anybody would commit a slight mistake and that should be forgiven but we should remember not everything is Vice Versa. Some feel good and fun about something but some don't feel in the same way. Anything can bother others 'cause we are all different. It's the same logic as a rich don't know a poor. Just let it go.

No comments: